Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I'm on a roll - Munich Days 1&2

So I know I will not be able to sleep till I get caught up on these entries, so I'll get as far as I can on my stay in Munich as the 23 remaining minutes on my internet pass will allow.

We arrived at the hostel, exhaused, not well rested, and looking a fright at 7:15am after our overnight train ride. Without an available room, we did the best we could with the couches in the common room. The bumpin ke$ha and gaga playing overhead was not conducive to sleep for normal people, but three tired backpackers did just fine. I woke up when Meghan told me that some other people from our class had arrived, and their first impression of me was of a sleep deprived, unbrushed teeth and hair, overall hot mess. I apparently pulled it off well, as most of them would become my roomies just a few hour s later. We chatted, and they headed on an informal tour while Meghan and I did much needed laundry. Upon their return, we fell into roomie groups pretty naturally - I learned in El Salvador social workers are good at picking out roomies and its best to go with your gut. Ever collaborative, we walked to the supermarket and got some food for the week. Its amazing how well we all worked together to ensure we had everything we needed. In that grocery store, Meghan made the profound quote as we sought out plastic utensils (no forks or spoons in Germany, just plastic sporks) that 'social workers are the sporks of the world'. TRUE STORY!

After another informal walking tour cut short by the rain, we broke off, our new group of friends intact, and headed back to the hostel for dinner next door. This independence affirmed my gut reaction that I would get along with these ladies just fine! Sleeping in a top bunk never felt so good. At least this one was normal size and I have enough overhead clearance to be able to sit up straight!!

Again, the rain the next day interrupted what was supposed to be an official walking tour. This trip did not seem to be as structured or well planned as my last study abroad experience, leading to frustration and dissent among the ranks. Meghan never ceases to surprise me. All the bitching and moaning about how boring the organizational and community section of our practice course was, lo and behold who stepped up and demanded to the leader that our group set 'norms and rules because if they aren't set in the beginning groups will not be able to maximize productivity'. I almost cried with happiness!!! WOOOO!!!!!!

After wandering in the rain, we were all more than ready for Hofbrauhaus. Amazing beer, adventurous German food, and a few new friends later, it was back to the hostel to change and head out. After one of West Points finest recent grads continually pursued me without any encouragement for the most part by the way, it was once again time for Meg to step in and regulate. She laid down the law and the offending young man headed off in a taxi with his tail between his legs. God bless that woman - I adore her!!

Okay, I'm out of time. Hopefully tomorrow I will be back on track!!

No comments:

Post a Comment