Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sunday in Coburg

After recovering from "food poisoning", Ana's flatmate made us the biggest plate of pancakes I've ever seen, stacked literally almost 1 1/2 feet high. We ate those and bacon for a late breakfast, and decided the best cure for our ailements was fresh air. With that, we headed back to the park at the foot of veste (castle) Coburg. Ana, Caren and I just laid in the grass and people watched, read a bit, and just watched Germans go about their Sunday. It's quite similar to the ideal lazy Sunday in the US, but in Coburg and in Germany in general,every Sunday is laid-back because all the businesses are closed. I really liked that concept, only since it allows one to have a true day of rest.

Feeling rejuvinated, I decide I'm ready to head back up to the castle. Our German professor had told me Martin Luther spent six months there in hiding after being exiled by the pope. Born and raised, baptized and confirmed Lutheran, I wanted to go pay homage to the great redeemer and appreciate all that my Lutheran pastors and my experiences as a church youth leader taught me through the years. I always loved the story of the 95 theses, and that Luther refused to back down against the formidable force that was the Catholic church. This time around on the hike, I take the long way up, the way without stairs, listening to my iPod and talking to God the whole way up in my mind about what's on my mind at this point in the class and my trip in general. I get to the top - finally- and it's me and my audio guide in a museum once again. I wander around the castle area, taking in the gorgeous decor and various displays of royal dress and life. I get to the chambers where Luther was staying, sit quietly for a while and reflect, enjoying being in the moment. I headed outside, enjoying the beautiful grounds surrounding the castle and the panoramic view of Coburg before heading back down.

That night, Ana took Caren, Meghan and her Ana and myself to tapas with some friends of hers. Ana kept trying to explain to us what she and her friends were talking about, but we urged her to enjoy her friends and not worry about us. I think we all needed a break. It was early to bed that night, fat and happy once again. Thank you, Germany, for the extra squishiness I've noticed in my arms and midsection the past few days. It'll be time to hit the gym hard when I return.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment