Wednesday, June 2, 2010

More Munich!!!!

Now that that is out of my system, I am excited to talk about what I have been doing in Munich without including the frustrating parts.

On the second day, we visited Munchner Aids - Hlife, an HIV/AIDS outreach organization providing services to those who suffer from the disease as well as engage in community outreach for the infected and at-risk populations. While the discussion was interesting, it seems to essentially be the same as every other outreach organization addressing the same issue in the US. I was impressed that it was for the most part a self sustaining organization, using profits from the cafe they run and other vocational focused ventures. I feel strongly that vocational focused interventions are crucially important in order to ensure long term self efficacy and reduce long term dependence on the system. However, this organization was different from one we visited in El Salvador because Germany doesn't have the same cultural barriers to implementation of interventions as that region of the world. If anything, Germany seems to be advanced even more so than the US in how the perceive the GLBT population, having representation in various political bodies such as the city council. As a result there are fewer barriers when it comes to getting the word out in a clear and concise manner. Most definitely food for thought.

Then we had lunch, processed, and had the rest of the day free. My roomies and I are really getting to know each other since we spend lots of time hanging out in the bunks. We napped, sleeping off the remainder of the hangover from the previous night, and headed out to do some shopping. I was on a mission to find some shirts for my friend Cameron, who had a particular brand of shirts that can only be found in Germany he really wanted. After finally finding a place that carried them, I realized that the sizing was just different enough to be confusing, and decided to return tomorrow after clarifying with him. It was back to the hostel for a disappointing dinner up the street and off to bed. Going to sleep at night is harder here. I remember at the end of the day in El Salvador (pardon the constant comparison but that is my only other study abroad frame of reference) I looked forward to bedtime because by the end of the day I was totally exhausted. Here, we all seem to be wound up, and usually wind up laughing ourselves to sleep. While I am making great friends, I can't help feeling that something is missing.

The next day we met with Franz Josef Mueller, who participated in the White Rose. They were a nonviolent protest group that resisted Nazism. Students of the University of Munich and their philosophy professor implemented various efforts, most notably a anonymous leaflet campaign calling for opposition to Hitler's agenda. He and the 6 other members were arrested by the Gestapo, but since he looked more like the Germans ideal species than the Jews, he was treated more humanely than the others. He was liberated by US forces only two months after his arrest. I found several things about this now 90 year old man to be inspirational. First, instead of focusing on the tragedy stemming from the Holocaust, he instead focused on how it forced previously opposing forces to work together, such as the Catholics and Protestants who were also an endangered population at this time of civil unrest. Second, I just loved how much affection he had for the troops who liberated them - every time he mentioned US forces he did it with a smile and the sincerest form of gratitude. ''The US forces gave me the best gift one can get - liberty''. I left feeling proud to be an American, and valuing the fact that at least I know I am free.

We had an official historic walking tour of Munich that afternoon. I finally felt I had gained some knowledge about the history and culture of Munich. Our tour guide was great - very knowledgeable and proud of the versatile and resilient nature of the Jewish population in Europe. I also loved that he knew where Baltimore was due to the fact that he had watched The Wire. If you know me, you know I live and die by that show for many different reasons. That's a convo for another blog though. The rest of the night was pretty much more of the same. I got to talk to my mom, who started her radiation treatment for stage 1 breast cancer today. Always the strongest woman I know, she is powering through it and says she's doing okay despite it all. I wish I were home but talking to her made me feel better. I love her so much and am so grateful for the relationship we have today after everything I put her through. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment