Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Londontown

Londontown is fun. It’s a welcome relief to walk into a hotel or restaurant and actually understand what the people are saying or what is listed on the menu. We arrive at our first hotel – the Grapevine hotel – and promptly check right back out. The room was teeny tiny – smaller than a cruise ship – there was no way that we could get both of our suitcases in there and still have room to walk. The dirty hallways and lack of wifi sealed the decision. We went across the street to the New England Bed and Breakfast and found better accommodations for a similarly reasonable price. We headed to a local pub in the Victoria neighborhood and had some cottage pie. At this point things are a little strained, partially because I insisted on being alone in Amsterdam, but mostly because we were both sick of each other at that point. One week after being home, we’ve exchanged texts and im’s, made plans to go to a concert together, but have yet to see or speak to each other. Ordinarily I would be feeling a little insecure about that fact, but each time I study abroad and have to integrate into a new “group”, I am reminded of the fact that incessant communication does not equal belongingness. I know we’ll be friends way far beyond this. That strain made the itty bitty teeny tiny room that much more unappealing.

After cottage pie, we laid down in bed and attempted to decide what double decker bus tour to take tomorrow. Pretty much over being tourists, we were trying to find one that was not too expensive (London was more expensive than even Italy!), hit all the main spots, but still left us time for shopping in the afternoon. We finally found it – just in time too, because our eyelids were getting heavy. The next morning we hit all the big spots – Buckingham Palace, St. Pauls Cathedral, The Tower of London, etc etc. After the tour, we walked to the ½ price tkts booth and success – tickets to Chicago!!! I really wanted to see some Shakespeare, but the idea of standing at the Globe for 3 hours did not appeal to my travel-weary body. Then it was more health food for lunch and the British Museum. I really wanted to see the Egyptian exhibit, but was disappointed when I got there. They’ve loaned a lot out and it’s not assembled very well. Either that or I got spoiled by the really great museums I saw in the beginning of our trip. Then – topshop! Highlight of London!!! Meghan got boots and I got heels and headbands.

Back to the hotel, we laid down, showered, and got our game faces on for the evening. Fish and chips at a local pub plus a GOOD bottle of wine (Meghan tried to order the cheap one till I reminded her this was our last night in Europe and I refuse to drink cheap wine!) equaled great conversation, no more strain, and the perfect mindset for some Fosse. Our seats were PERFECT – 12 rows from the front with a clear view ! Wine in hand, we were ready for the show to start. SO ENJOYABLE! I grew up going to the theater, but haven’t been in eons and am reminded just how much I enjoy it. We both thoroughly enjoyed the entire production, and I even gave a standing ovation. Singing “and all that jazz” on the way home, we collapse in bed. We need to be fresh as a daisy for our 8 hour plane flight tomorrow.

Our last breakfast in Europe was at Café Nero – scones and pain au chocolate coupled with cappuccinos. We got through the airport very easily, and boarded the plane ready – and more than willing – to head home.

More reflection to come!!

1 comment:

  1. Aww LaRee I'm sorry the British museum didn't have as much stuff there! When we went the exhibit was excellent. I was shocked at how expensive London was too when we were there but it sounds like you guys had a great time! I'm glad! :)

    ReplyDelete